Carrington Crew

Carrington Crew

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bad Dog



I didn't get a picture until after it was bandaged up--I am not that quick with the camera. These are the 3 area that required stitches.

Today was an uneventful day until.....we took a walk up to the bus stop.
Backing up to earlier in the day, my parents had just arrived in town. Kate had a ballet recital tonight and the kids have their Christmas program tomorrow, so they came in to see the kids. We walked up the street to see Wills off the bus and on our way back home, Owen decided to play in the leaves in our neighbors yard. He was on his hands and knees, playing in the leaves when their dog (A Rottweiler mix), attacked him. I mean, this dog grabbed hold of his leg and didn't let go. It all happened so fast, but in slow motion at the same time! We got the dog off, but Owen was hysterical and he had some deep bite marks on his leg.
I called our pediatrician and she advised me to take him to the Emergency room. To be honest, I was not about to take Owen down to Children's for many reasons--one being it would cost $150.00 and another, we would be there for who knows how long.
We opted to go to American Family Care (our families new favorite spot) and they took good care of him. He ended up with stitches in 3 of the bites.
The whole experience was difficult for us both. Me, holding him down so they could give Owen the shots and then the stitches and Owen screaming at the top of his lungs and fighting me and the other 2 nurses that were helping to hold him down!
In the end, he is doing fine and is happy that he walked away with 4 balloons and some brand new blue latex gloves! The dog is quarantined at the vet for 3 days and we will have to see what happens next with that.
I am so thankful to God that the dog did not attack Owen on his torso or worse, his face. This could have been a very bad situation and I know God's hand and protection is upon our family because, although it was very scary, it ended up to be okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment