I am done with my shopping and it feels so good. I finished up the last little bit of the Christmas shopping this weekend and I am so tired of spending money and running around town.
At this point if any of my little darlings change their mind about what they want, then it will have to go on their birthday list because Mama has closed up her purse and am DONE!
With 4 kids and one more by next year, we have to be pretty frugal and smart when it comes to Christmas. This year, in October, Matt and I sat down and worked out our budget for Christmas, so I knew how much I had to spend on each child, as well as cousins, sisters, parents, teachers, and so on and so on.
We do Santa at our house. I really don't think my children are going to be scarred that I made the season and little more fun by believing in Santa. If they are, I will pay for their therapy...Wait, no...I will just tell them to get over it! I mean this is fun stuff. I wish I still believed in Santa.
Anyway, because I do want them to grasp the true meaning of Christmas and the reason we celebrate, we have always said that Santa brings 3 gifts, just like the wisemen brought 3 gifts to Jesus.
So, on Christmas morning they each have 3 gifts from the man in the suit and also a few presents from Mommy and Daddy.
Back to the changing their mind thing. The other weekend I was in bed (probably because it was like 6:00 a.m. on a Saturday. A day when my kids should totally sleep in, but never do), and I heard the boys in the den watching tv. Well a commercial came on and I actually heard this come out of Wills' mouth.
"OHHHH, I want THAT for Valentine's Day!"
You see, he already has his 3 items on his Santa list picked out, so now he is adding things to his "other" lists.
He is quite the planner! I am sure it won't be long before he hands me his list for Martin Luther King Day or Flag Day.
We might just have a tad case of the gimmies over here. I sure hope Santa can deliver!

.im laughing that Wills said "i want THAT for Valentine's Day". WAy to go Mallory, in finishing shopping. That is no small task for sure. ...a task i have not begun yet..ha ha.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that idea for 3 gifts from Santa, totally stealing it from you! Great tie in to the true meaning of Christmas.
ReplyDeleteWe too do both. I grew up Catholic and I never missed the real message of Christmas. In fact, I'm a little annoyed by the whole Elf on the Shelf thing really when it comes down to it. If my kids can't figure out to listen to me on a regular basis (and no, I do not have that mastered in the slightest!) I'm not employing a plastic miniture statue to flit around my house to do it for me. :)
Growing up we had a nativity next to the tree and an advent calendar with a felt tree with pockets that held ornaments that you'd velcro to the tree and the last one was baby Jesus in a walnut shell. Oh the memories.
My mom gave me an "advent" calendar that has pockets for each day before Christmas (no felt tree though). We employ it like a countdown with each day the boys pull out a little sticker or hershey's kiss or other little item or candy. Our "elf" is shy and can't be seen and comes at night to refill a pocket - use their imaginations as best I can! I need to come up with a significant Christian item for the 25th to tie it in.
AND...our nativity has no Jesus until Christmas morning and the wisemen are out of sight too...the boys get to place him in his manger Christmas morning.
I think unless my kids are completely sheltered out of the mainstream, which really isn't our lifestyle I'm fooling myself by not exposing them to Santa. I just need to be sure to teach them which is more important and what the TRUE message of Christmas is.
Great book by the way - The Littlest Angel. The language is really flowy, but the message is a beautiful one. Check it out.