Carrington Crew

Carrington Crew

Friday, May 29, 2009

Surviving Summer




i just had to include G--even though he sleeps during craft time!


Owen's masterpiece



I have put a lot of thought into how I will survive this summer, having 4 kids 5 and under at home with me will surely try my patience! I decided to make a summer schedule of fun which includes at least one outing, usually to the pool, park, zoo, mcwane center, etc...!
I also decided that, since my kids love arts and crafts, I would put together an ART BOX for the summer!
I went to Micheals and Wal-mart (which actually has a decent craft department) and filled a big plastic tub with random arts supplies. Here is a list of some items I threw in the bag.
Helpful Hint #1 Go to the store without your kids.


String/rope for bracelets
beads
feathers
glue
stapler
construction paper
finger paint
google eyes
craft sticks
foam stickers (they now have peel off tape on the back--these were a big hit)
stencils
NEW markers and crayons
confetti (large)
pipe cleaners
washable finger paint


This is a short list. If it was cheap, I bought it. I spent about $40 on craft supplies, but it has already been worth it. The kids spent an hour quietly making masterpieces from all the "stuff"
I bought. I found some extra beach pails and separated items in each and let them at it. Warning: It is messy, but this was an HOUR of working quietly people!!! No fighting, teasing, wrestling....you get the picture!
Today, we sat out in the front yard and made necklaces and bracelets. It was so cute to see them work so hard stringing beads and then proudly wearing their necklaces. We even made G one, although I think that is a choking hazard!
Wills woke up this morning and said "Mommy can we do crafts today?" Forget the pool my friends, we will be busy crafting all day! Ha!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mal Mal,

    Who's your new friend Maria? hahha! I saw that you could view comments from your friends and I clicked on it and found this informative message! hahaha! I don't think she will be heading to walmart to make a fun arts and crafts box for the kids. Wills, Owen, Kate and G are soooo blessed to have you as their mommy! LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mallory, I am so glad I found your blog! I hope ya'll are well. I was wondering if you could email me your address to joyjonas@gmail.com. Our family is going to China in August for missions and I was wondering if I could send you and Matt our letter in the mail! Your family is so precious!

    ReplyDelete