Carrington Crew

Carrington Crew

Monday, October 18, 2010

Time-out for Me

Our weekend was fun.  We had baseball and soccer, camped out for half a night, rode bikes, and went to the playground.  Lots of good family time. 
On Sunday, I had one of those moments where I needed to leave the house, leave the kids, have some alone time.  I am a firm believer that all moms need time outs often!  I wish my kids knew how lucky they are to get a "time-out"....in their rooms, all alone!  Ha!
Anyway, it doesn't happen to often, but occasionally I need to just get away, alone!  Yesterday was one of those days.  I was only was gone for 1 1/2 hours, but it made the biggest difference in my attitude and my heart.
So, after explaining to the kids that mommy was going "somewhere" and disappointing them that "No, they could not go with me", I backed out of the driveway and I already could feel the tension lifting.
It was not anything in particular that happened, I just needed to not be needed for a while.
As I was driving wondering where the heck I was going to go, I decided to go trail running, which I love to do and don't get to very often.  The feeling of running in the woods on trails is so exhilarating to me.  I get to be outside and blow off steam and just run.  I know some people shop when they get stressed, others eat, and so on, but for me, I love to run.   I have a great playlist on my ipod with my favorite praise music intermixed with some Tao Cruz and Lady Gaga (yes, it is true) and I can just run and let go of everything!
As I pulled back into the driveway, and saw my family playing outside, and come running to me like I had been gone for a week, I immediately felt happy to be back where I belong...home!  With all my little children running around and my husband who amazingly "gets it"...he understands that I needed to just "get away"
So, what do you do when you get to that point where you just need to leave the house?  I am just curious to know!?  And  PLEASE do not respond to this if you never get to that point, because I don't want to hear it.~ 

3 comments:

  1. Totally have those days - I have even met Jeremy at the door when he got home from work with my keys in hand ready to escape, I mean take a break :) I like to take a book and go out to eat by myself. When I was younger I would never dream about going to a restaurant by myself - I thought people would think I was so sad and lonely but now I know if I want company I've got 4 people at home :) So nice to eat at a leisurely pace and not have to share :)
    Congrats on the your new addition! Looking forward to watching how God works everything out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you take time out. i need to ALL THE TIME...your time out running in the woods sounds amazing. i need to try that sometime. i tend to go on a walk around our neighborhood WITHOUT anything attached..not even the dog. Sometimes i take a long drive to good music....sometimes i go somewhere to cry and i tell myself..its my turn to cry...and let myself "feel" again..pray again without interruptions)...love you friend.Thanks again for the b-day shirt and thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to go to a book store and get a bunch of magazines and read them. And maybe eat somewhere girly, like Panera bread. But on occasion, I will take going to the grocery store by myself as an escape. I wish I was more industrious and would run like you, but I am allergic!

    ReplyDelete