I will start with #1 Don't get too grossed out, but below is a picture of my fingernails. Yes, I have chewed my fingernails for almost 30 years. I am not sure when I actually started, but I have no memory of ever not biting them, so I am guessing I was very young when I first started. When I was younger, it was a nervous habit. Something I did before ball games or tests or in school; anything that made me feel anxious. But, over the years it has become a habit that I don't even realize that I do! I honestly don't know, during a given day, when I actually bite my nails, but I know that I do because just look at them!
One of my kids is very oral and always has his fingers in his mouth, and I think to myself, that is me! How hypocritical of me to tell him to stop when I still bite my own nails! So, the bite stops here! I am done! Cold Turkey. I bought some nail strengthening clear polish because I know my nails will be so brittle and it will probably take an entire gallon of that stuff to get them strong enough to start growing, but it's a start. So here we go, I will post updates of my stubs as they progress. I wonder what my hands will look like? Any helpful hints you might have on making this easier are welcome.
Now, on to my #2 vice. I am going to stop buying and reading gossip magazines. I have decided that if I really want to live Phillipians 4:8,
Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.
then I need to quit reading garbage about people that I don't even know and have nothing in common with. I have read these magazines in the past because it was brainless reading. I could sit on the couch or in the tub and look at pictures and read stories about random stars and what they are up to. Why do I care, you ask? Well, I really don't care and the stories are not even something I can relate to. I cannot relate--it is a life so far from what I am living, or the kind of life I would even desire for myself or my family. I am making a commitment to not let my thoughts and eyes focus on that garbage.
(Okay, I can't promise that I won't read the occasional People magazine when at my mom's house). baby steps!
Today when I went to the grocery store I saw the magazines at the check out and I was curious as to why Tom and Katie's marriage is on the rocks or if Angelina is adopting again, or if Tori is anorexic, but what in my life could possible relate to Hollywood? How can this bring me closer to my Saviour? I will pocket my $2.99 and sit down with a good book the next time I want to relax and pass by the longing to find out who is the skinniest person in L.A.
No comments:
Post a Comment