We need some life skills or their future spouses are SO going to resent me!
So here we go....the first idea is to let each child cook dinner for everyone. And I mean REALLY do it! Of course, I need to be close by or we will not have a house to destroy anymore, but the idea is to allow my kids to experience how to do everyday things that they will inevitably have to do one day.
I started with Wills because 2 were "swimming" in the tub and Owen was listening to my I-Pod....in a trance listening to my hip hop music that I down loaded for my spinning classes.
Our first life skill is Cooking dinner for a family of 6. Now we are not fancy here at the Carrington house, so it just so happen to be Taco Night, which comes around at least once a week. He turned on the oven, browned the meat, added some spice, cooked the Taco shells, and made some cheese dip. He laid out all the toppings for everyone and he actually did a really good job with everything. It didn't go over without quite a mess of course, but that goes with having kids in the kitchen, I suppose.
So....now I have one child who will one day know how to make a mean taco dinner for that future lovely lady friend of his, all thanks to his Mama!
Taco Night!
pre- a little help from mom on how to get all the shells on one sheet!
Jammin to some Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas
WONDERFUL idea!
ReplyDeleteBecause we deal with all the exact messes you mentioned above, we've got a new rule this summer: we can't leave the house to do anything fun (pool, library, parks, etc) until the house is in order. I've been pleasantly surprised by how well even my little guys can vacuume and sweep! Now, it's not perfect, but it's still so much nicer to come in hot and sweaty from the park to a tidy house instead of a messy one!