I just finished reading the book, Radical by David Platt, who is the pastor of a local church here, Church of Brookhills. To say that this book is a challenge to read is an gross understatement. It causes you to bounce back and forth between "ouch" and "amen". It is a challenge to examine your life and choose the lasting over the temporary! The eternal reality over the American dream! It challenges you to LIVE DIFFERENTLY!
Here is a passage that says it all:
You and I have about seventy or eighty years or so on this earth. During these years we are bombarded with the temporary. Make money. Get stuff. Be comfortable. Live well. Have fun. In the middle of it all, we get blinded to the eternal. But it is there. You and I stand on the porch of eternity. Both of us will soon stand before God to give account for our stewardship of the time, the resources, the gifts, and ultimately the gospel he has entrusted to us. When that day comes, and it will, I am convinced we will not wish we had given more of ourselves to living the American dream. We will not wish we had made more money, acquired more stuff, lived more comfortably, pursued greater retirement, taken more vacations, watched more television, or been more successful in the eyes if this world. Instead we will wish we had given more of ourselves to living for the day when every nation, tribe, people and language will bow around the throne and sing the praises of the Savior who delights in radical obedience and the God who deserves eternal worship.
I want to live like this. I want to obey the words of the Savior, the simple call of "follow me".
The narrow path with eternal rewards!
No comments:
Post a Comment